While the Fourth of July weekend most always means a barbeque, cookout or family picnic with lots of hotdogs and hamburgers on the menu, most creative cooks and party hosts will add spirited red, white and blue appetizers, entrees or desserts to their 4th of July menu. Since summer is berry season taking advantage of the vibrant patriotic colors of red strawberries and blue blueberries is a popular choice to create colorful independence day dishes that are delicious too.
Try some of these celebratory eats for your 4th of July party:
1. The popular flag cake – white pound cake decorated with blueberries, strawberries and white whipped cream in the pattern of the American flag.
2. A patriotic fruit salad consisting of blueberries, strawberries, pomegranates, white grapes and bananas.
3. A patriotic parfait you can assemble in individual dessert glasses or wine glasses alternating layers of white whipped cream, blueberries, strawberries and shredded coconut topped with decorative USA flag on a toothpick (available at most craft or party stores).
4. A patriotic appetizer is as easy as red salsa served with blue tortilla chips and white pinto beans.
5. Serve an Independence day cocktail fit for a patriot, make red pomegranete margaritas in a blender and serve them in whole cut coconut shells with blue straws and drink umbrellas, very tropical.
Preparing for your 4th of July festivities is also a great time to get the kids involved in food preparations. If you’re adventurous, give your children a variety of red white and blue foods and let them create a unique 4th of July item for the days festivities!